Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Weeks 5 and 6 summary from Greg

Ok, so two Blog posts in a row, I know what you are thinking, and yes, I have been excited about blogging. So here are two more weeks. Hope you enjoy my gleanings:
Week 5 – Dr Bruce Thompson – The Divine Plumbline
-          Much of what I learned this week was personal and I will share some of those things below
-          By studying the great ‘I AM’ I can discover who I am
-          God’s storms come to break down our flimsy false walls we have erected to protect us from our difficult situations, often stemming from our childhood love deficits
-          Most people experience a ‘love deficit,’ something in our upbringing that was lacking, not from our parents not doing a great job, it's just that something was missing
-          My love deficit led to protecting the little boy inside me from pain but that also removed him from experiencing love. God has healed those love receptors and helped me to take a chance with love again which may incorporate pain as well. I’m letting the little boy out.
-          I reject pride (my tendency which carries with it criticalness, a controlling attitude, and possessiveness) and affirm humility
-          Stop the generational sins and build the generational blessings
-          I am praying blessings on someone in particular who hurt me in my past, even though I may never see them again
-          The great ‘I AM’ was always there in each of my difficult stories, carrying me in His hand
-          We had a group ministry time this week where I prayed through and worked through many of my issues I address above
-          My step-mom passed away this week. I went to California and spent the weekend with my father as we grieved and celebrated together
-          Farrell and I had another breakthrough week this week, but that is her story to tell
Week 6 – Don Stephens – Worldview and the Kingdom of God
-          Let me just start by saying that much of the teaching this week was revolutionary for me, much of DTS has been this way. But this week I saw something in Scripture that I was blind to before, the fact that the kingdom of God and the gospel cannot be separated and Jesus talks more about the kingdom than about anything else in Scripture. Here are some of my notes:

-          Everybody has a worldview, a pair of glasses they see the world through, it's important to understand what your worldview is
-          I can choose my ideas, but not the consequences to those ideas
-          What happens if you don’t pray? Nothing.
-          True ideas produce life, truth produces freedom
-          ‘The devil sends lies into the world in pairs’ CS Lewis
-          It's like humpty dumpty on the wall, whether he falls off one side or the other he still has a great fall
-          Everything is spiritual
-          All Truth belongs to God
-          Perichoresis – circle dance – a description of the Godhead dancing in unity, and we are invited into the dance
-          Metanoia – translated 'repentance' – change your mind, get a new revelation or peek into who God is and turn back to Him
-          The Kingdom of God is:
o   everything reconciled to Jesus
o   every place where the will of God is being done
o   it values people, not just converts
o   relevancy
o   a journey
o   a culture of radical inclusion and hospitality
o   God’s glory filling all things
-          We are the usherers of God’s Kingdom, the heralds, the proclamation band
-          ‘Attempt great things for God. Expect great things from God’ William Carey
-          My goals:
o   Seek the kingdom first
o   Pray ‘your kingdom come’
o   Ask God for understanding of the kingdom
o   Step into the adventure
o   Discover my part
-          This week Farrell and I are just revelling in the depth of our newfound relationship with each other, it’s awesome!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for these posts, Greg. Lots of things to think on. Blessings on your whole family. We love you guys.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so so excited for you both..sounds like God is revealing a lot of amazing revelations to you!

    ReplyDelete