Monday, March 21, 2011

We're heading to Hawaii!!

(This is our original note we posted on Facebook a few weeks ago announcing our sabbatical plans...) 

Sounds like something we'd all like to do right about now!!  :)  We have been serving at Beaverlodge Alliance Church for 8.5 years now, and our District Leadership strongly suggests that pastors take a time of sabbatical after every seven years of ministry.  We've been working towards this for the past year or so, and our plans are now finalized so we can share what we'll be doing with all of you!

Our family will be heading to Kona, Hawaii for three months beginning the first week of April, to attend the Crossroads DTS at the YWAM (Youth With a Mission) base there.  The Crossroads Discipleship Training School is designed for 'mature' students (think they'll let us in??), particularly those in ministry or taking a time of refreshment and renewal.  Both Greg and I will be attending classes during this time, and our older kids will also be in school at the Foundation School located on the YWAM base.  We are bringing along a nanny (one of our former youth) to help care for Katrina.

The courtyard and fountain at YWAM in Kona, Hawaii

As we've explained to our church, a sabbatical is: *not* a stress leave - we are taking time to renew ourselves and refocus *before* we need a stress leave!...and *not* a sign that we're wanting to move elsewhere in ministry - although we are open to the Lord changing our hearts, at this time we feel that we will be in Beaverlodge for a long time yet.

We are very excited (and nervous) about this adventure, and with five and a half TWO weeks to go before we leave, we are busy starting to tie up projects here at home, deciding what to bring vs. what to buy there, looking for a house sitter for the time we're gone, and of course making many many lists!  Moving ourselves and four young children halfway across the world for three months is quite the process.  :)

We'd appreciate your prayers as we prepare for this journey, and as we are there this spring.  We're hoping to either keep our regular blog updated while we're there, or start a separate one for this experience - we'll be sure to post when we know more about that.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask!!  :)

2 comments:

  1. Abby we will miss you but we are excited to learn about your adventures in Hawaii.
    Love and prayers from al your friends in kindergarten.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How's Hawaii?
    We love the picture of the family, especially Abby. The kindergarten kids were excited to see her and hear about your news. Here's what they want to say to Abby.
    Katelyn - Today is my birthday. We had Smarties cake at school. I love you and I miss you.
    Brendan - I miss you and I want you to come back.
    Carson - Are there any dinosaurs in Hawaii?
    Savanah - Do you have pretty flowers and have you been swimming?
    Spencer - I love you and I miss you.
    Finn - Come back safe and soon.
    Ava - I love and miss you with all my heart.
    Peyton I - I made a welcome back card for you.
    Sarah - I will make you a picture when you come home.
    Darnelle - I love you so much and I miss you.
    Zachary - I miss you.
    Mrs. Tyler - Are you close to the ocean?

    ReplyDelete